Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cracking Up

Today was one of those days that, thankfully, just got better and better as the hours went on. I started the day by practically knocking myself unconscious while getting ready for work. I backed into the edge of my bathroom door at full Brenda speed, and spent the next 15 or so minutes wondering how long I would be horizontal on the floor. Awesome way to start the day. I thought for sure I had cracked the door frame, but alas, it was just my head! Big ole lump, no blood. Good grief.

Got to school and was greeted by a huge bouquet of flowers (and a lovely handmade bracelet) from a wonderful family. Picked from their own garden at home. Just to brighten my day. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my job? And the people? Consider it mentioned.

The kids were really funny today. Cracking me up. We're singing "Follow the Drinking Gourd" in 5th grade today, and I have a student who says, and I quote,
"I'll be available after class today to answer any questions anyone might have about slavery. I know everything there is to know about this subject."
Thanks for the back-up, little buddy.

This from the other day: We're rallying ideas in 6th grade for different words that can be made out of the musical notes ABCDEFG, and after a bunch of great words are shared, one kid shouts out "PHOTOSYNTHESIS." I kid you not. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even tell him the many MANY reasons why this word couldn't work!

A little background on this one: for the record, I'm always bruised. My poor legs are always running into something, and they will constantly display a lovely array of blue, green, and purple bruises. Could be the complete lack of depth perception on my part. Could be the fact that Brenda Lynn moves at the speed of light, and runs into things all the time.

Regardless, the kids see them, and will ask me what I did this time. I usually tell them I have no idea how those bruises got there, and that there must be little Gnomes who beat me with clubs during the night. (They know I'm a klutz.) Anywho, noticing yet another bruise on my leg, a kid announces to me today
"Ms. G, you really ought to stop sleeping with those Gnomes!"
I can't make this stuff up.

And finally, to cap it all off: It's the last class of the day, and as Mason is writing his name on his paper, I noticed his "S" was missing from his name. I told him,
"You better get your 's' in there."
Now, if you read that sentence quite rapidly,
you will see why another little one said,
"Ms. G! I don't think you should be saying that!"
Oh my! Wait - why would this phrase concern a 6 year old? And how would they know what I COULD have said, even there is no way I WOULD have said that?! Fun-ny.

The evening ended at church, where, let's just say things went skippingly well once again. Love that place. Love those people. :o)

2 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, Brenda. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You really should stop sleeping with those gnomes, Brenda. :)