Saturday, January 9, 2010

Water of My Soul

We celebrate the Baptism of Our Lord tomorrow (January 10), so LOTS of great water imagery this week. We're introducing a new setting of the liturgy (hooray!) and I wrote new text for the Offering (can't wait!)

The Bible Verse of the day was "Peace! Be still!" (Mark 4:39), which I'm sure all of you know, is a challenge for this girl! I find it a tad bit ironic and amusing that the tune of the song I've been singing all day was "Be Still" - I must have known to channel this thought! (I do want it on the record that after a great Youth Leader Meeting and some practice time in the Sanctuary at church, I did come home and take a 4 hours nap this afternoon. Yes, 4 hours in a row. That's unheard of in the land of Brenda. Peace. Be still.)

I'm sure I'll have lots to post after the services - until then:

Water of My Soul
Text: Brenda L. Greenwald

Tune: Be Still, My Soul (Sibelius)


My soul cries out, redemption from the Father.

And called by name, we're His now, do not fear!

Never alone, when passing through the waters,

Nor burned by fire, our God is always near.

My soul redeemed, all precious in His sight,

Beloved sons and daughters, have no fright.


My soul reveals salvation's very need,

The water washes my old life away.

Evil be gone, a warning we must heed,

Faithful in service, keep us, this we pray.

A miracle, You claim us, heirs of promise,
Renew our lives, forgiving love and grace.


My soul is filled with waters of the Spirit,
Children of God, We're gifted with new life!

Forever joined to Christ, by water, we're knit,
Pour out your Holy Spirit, move through strife.

The Holy Spirit, came down like a dove,

A voice from Heaven, My Son, you are Beloved!


Baptism of Our Lord
  • Isaiah 43: 1 - 7
  • Luke 3: 15-17, 21-22
  • Working Preacher
  • Prayer of the Day: Almighty God, you anointed Jesus at his baptism with the Holy Spirit and revealed him as your beloved Son. Keep all who are born of water and the Spirit faithful in your service, that we may rejoice to be called children of God, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

No comments: