Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bon Jovi: I Am

I like to think that the moon is there,
even if I am not looking at it.
Albert Einstein

EXACTLY. I have been in this state of faith for the last week. I heard a Bon Jovi song while walking the other day, and I couldn't help but think of it in broader, more theological terms. The text of the refrain has been running through my head:

I Am.
When you think that no one needs you,
Sees you or believes you,
No one's there to understand,
I Am.
I'll be there to be that someone,
When you think that no one is there to hold your hand,
I Am.

Now, being a music teacher, I easily connect to musical text. Connecting the text of a Bon Jovi song directly to my faith in God, however, was a bit of a stretch, even for me! I've been a fan of Bon Jovi since, well, birth, although I never looked at their songs through a faith filter. Perhaps, in this season of Lent, I'm a bit more reflective. Einstein mentions remembering the moon, even while not looking at it. I'd like to think of today's quote in a bigger sense: remembering God, even though I can't see Him. Physically, that is. I can certainly see His presence in my life. The great I Am is always there, ready to understand, there to hold my hand. How completely comforting!

No comments: