Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Can do

(Updated: 9:00 pm)
--- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ ---

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Do not let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

John Wooden (1910 - )
Retired American basketball coach

--- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ ---

This quote is another wonderful reminder that we should play off of our strengths, not our weaknesses. So many times, we think of the obstacles that will stand in our way, the excuses that will get us out of doing things, and the many reasons why we will be completely unable to complete things. (How general can I get!?)

9:00 pm: What I can do: my kids have this uncanny ability to believe in me no matter what. We had an amazing conversation regarding civil rights today, and they looked to me with curiosity and wonder, as I told them tales of the past. Trying my best to fill in the historical gaps, I really tried to keep this quote in mind as we launched into our discussion. I didn't let my apprehension of the minutia (specific dates, names, etc.) interfere with the fact that I could help them understand the bigger concepts of humanity, equity, and liberty. We were singing "Lift Every Voice and Sing", and their questions and comments were so innocent and intriguing. They are so young! I really hope they continue our conversation with their families, and gain the perspective that they are part of a larger whole.

No comments: