Sunday, January 25, 2009

Music for the People

--- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ ---

Sunday, January 25, 2009

If arts have a place in society,
they must be part of a community.

To be an artist is not the privilege of a few,
but the necessity of us all.

Robert Lawson Shaw (1916 - 1999)
American Conductor

--- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ --- ∞ ---

Ok, ok...I admit: today's thoughts may not have originated from the Thoughts in a Bottle container, but they certainly came from the heart. From the man who clearly set the standard for how choral music should be sung. Today is a big day - one that combines my love of both church and choral music. I officially join the congregation of Bethany Lutheran Church at the 10:30 am service, and then attend a tribute concert to Robert Shaw in the afternoon! Somewhere in-between there, I'm having lunch with Marie, which will be wonderful, as we've often been in the same room, just not long enough to chat! Big day!

I've only ever been a part of my childhood congregation back in Sheboygan, WI, so transferring membership was an important deal. I've always kept the faith, always attended church, I just never officially joined my new congregations. It was time, and this was the place.

The weather outside does not match my mood - it's gray and foggy - a bit spooky. I'm going to choose to think of it as...mysterious! Here in Colorado, the sun always breaks through the clouds eventually. I think that is a fantastic metaphor for the day - a symbolic way of showing that when the right thing finds you, it can't help but burst forth in joy!

No comments: